Leftover Oatmeal Cake  

The pear honey turned out worderfully! We had some on French Toast this morning and I have another batch going right now. This time I am trying to make it in the crockpot. I didn't want to stay up cooking it last night and I didn't want to try and find room in the fridge for the juice so I put it in the crockpot and left the top ajar with a towel over it. This morning, I took the top off and carefully draped the towel over the open crock. So we will see if this works.

Meanwhile, here's a recipe for Leftover Oatmeal cake!



Yep, oatmeal cake. Deeeelicious! I tend to think of this recipe as the second half of my crockpot oatmeal recipe. I used to make the oatmeal for the morning and then use the leftovers for this cake for after supper.

Leftover Oatmeal Cake

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sucanat (OR half white sugar & half brown sugar OR all white sugar plus 1 TBS molasses)
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla
2 cups (more or less) cooked oatmeal

Sift together:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. (or more!) cinnamon

Add sifted mixture to creamed mixture and beat well. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake 35 minutes or until tests done. Add topping.

Topping

Combine:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine
1/4 cup cream or milk
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup coconut.

Spread on hot cake and broil 2 - 4 minutes until the topping begins to brown. Watch closely! (I have made the topping without nuts or coconut and it was still great.)

This cake is very rich and moist so serve in small pieces.

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

This sounds like a great way to use up leftover oatmeal! Can you tell me what temp you baked this at?

Anonymous  

Tried it at 350F and it was just fine fyi :)

Anonymous  

Can you freeze this cake?